This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

socketing gems into equipment

Topics: General
Jul 2, 2015 at 10:57 AM
what are the steps necessary to insert gems into sockets using the editor? using the "socketed gems" option for the item slot makes it appear that the gems have been socketed into the item (the item itself equipped with sockets) as they shift right on the inventory panel on the editor, but when i load the game the item's sockets are empty and the gems are in my inventory. am i missing a step?

also, other than Viper's tutorials on youtube and the discussions here, are there any other places i can go to feed my brain? maybe an advanced tutorial someplace that i missed?

thank you
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2015 at 3:24 AM
the quickest easiest way to do it is in game but if you look at another item that has gems in it, it will show you how it can be done.
Coordinator
Jul 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM
Well it seems that when people tell me that I'm straight to the point this is factual and I always assume everyone knows what I'm referring to...

If you look in the raw tab ( under Items>Items(Collection)>an item ) There is the items portion of the save file this can be changed but not easily gems are in the contents of the item an exact copy of the gem in there its not easy to add the gems in and best to just use the game i have always said make a 3 socked item then use that as a template
Jul 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM
thank you for pointing me in the right direction. but i think i will abandon my attempts and just take the extra time to do it in-game as you advised. discretion tells me that if you or one of the other people involved in this project are going to say that something with the editor is "not easy" that i should probably skip it, at least at this point
Feb 22, 2016 at 8:55 PM
Hi, CKY,

It would appear you are saying: use the editor, add 3 sockets, import; then add gems to the sockets; export; then look at the item? Is that correct?

I'm curious about this, because I want to try to do something that the game positively won't let me do.

You know how you can actually put 6 affixes plus the mystic reroll on the gem of ease? I want to see if I can force the editor to put 3 of these on a weapon, and see if the game recognizes all 21 affixes.

Has anyone tried this?
Developer
Feb 22, 2016 at 10:43 PM
If you don't have an item in your current save that has 3 gems socketed in it. Then make a weapon with 3 sockets and PS3 compatible stats (the affixes aren't whats important, understanding how its made is). Load item onto your ps3 then socket the weapon as you normally would. Then copy that back to your flash drive and open it with the editor. Look on the raw tab as CKY mentioned to see how it appears under item....collections. You will see that the gems are the contents of the weapon and that is where you would have to modify the info to change them to the gems that you want. Its a long drawn out process if youre willing to give it a shot.
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:23 AM
Tell me about D3.Items.SavedItem-->id--id_low

I'm going to guess this is a globally unique number. I'm going to guess that I shouldn't mess with it, and that if I want to change other properties on an item, this id should remain untouched.

I'm going to guess that for basic items, the six affixes are on slots 0-5 of D3.Items.SavedItem-->generator-->base_affixes[0-5]

I'm going to guess that for things slotted into sockets, these will be under -->generator-->contents[0-2] probably, although I haven't fetched a socketed item back from the PS3 yet to be sure.

I'm having some issues with the PS3 crashing when I attempt to actually import a save there, but I have a theory why (need to empty my account of all items prior to 2.1.2 I think) for now and will report back.

Anyway, are the above guesses correct?
Developer
Feb 23, 2016 at 12:57 AM
On all accounts you sir are correct. Although I'm not sure about the id--id low. The rest of it is exactly as you guessed.

And the ps3 crashing would definitely be from having items greater than patch 2.0.9.

Good Luck
Feb 23, 2016 at 9:39 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2016 at 10:22 PM
So; if you socket multiple gems of ease into a weapon in the editor, upon load into the PS4, the game unsockets them and puts them in inventory.

This also happens if you socket ordinary non-legendary gems into non-jewelry based items

I will investigate further, but this appears to be a dead end.
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2016 at 11:01 PM
D3.Items.SavedItem-->id--id_low D3.Items.SavedItem-->id--id_high are globally unique identifiers they can be changed but be aware of collisions. Best to let the game and program manage them..

And that is why you can only have 1.. The game will eject them from the item.. but its worth trying.. something else to note you can add 1000000000000 items to the continence but the game will only accept 3..
Feb 24, 2016 at 12:04 AM
id_high always seems to be "1", actually. Strange, that.
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2016 at 2:03 AM
Someone trying new things......awesome to see that!!