This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Taking modded items online into public lobbies.

Topics: General
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:34 AM
For all of us who use the editor, do you think we can keep the Professional Russian stuff and rank 10 billion Gems of Ease strictly offline for personal use? With the new change in patch 2.3, experience is now averaged between all members of a party. So when you start killing things with an uber Gem of Ease, it's also piling on billions of exp to the other members of the party.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19814212/patch-230-ptr-patch-notes-8-6-2015

"Experience gained, including all sources of Bonus Experience, is now averaged across all players in a party that are eligible to receive experience"

and it's things like this that gives the modding community a bad name. You can choose not to be a jerk and take modded gear into public lobbies. Do what I do and use two separate accounts, one legit, and one for modding. I would love to see this save editor flourish so when Blizzard is finished with Diablo 3, I can come back to it and enjoy the game in a different way. All I'm suggesting is that we practice courteous etiquette in the public online portion of the game and be considerate of everyone else playing. Thanks for reading.
Aug 29, 2015 at 6:17 AM
I totally agree on this. I dont play public lobbies at all due to some ppl being against modded stuff.
Only online i play is with people on psn friendslist that dont care much and are happy to get some help as long as their account isnt compromised.
I also want to play 1 legit and 1 modded. Since 1 shotting stuff on tx gets old quick xD
Editor
Sep 4, 2015 at 5:52 AM
Edited Sep 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM
I love the sentiment of this thread, but It is incredibly easy to play in public lobbies with modded gear and still be respectful of legit characters. Most players in public lobbies are looking for modded gear. It is usually fairly easy to see when players are running legit games. I see no need to keep modded gear out of the public games, I see a need for modders to pay more attention.

Full disclosure, I only play modded characters.
Sep 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Well he didnt mention modded gear in itself, or items or whatnot. I always share if they want like imperial gems, some minorly modded legendary gems, gold, or crafting materials that have like a stack of 99 million on em so they dont need to farm that.
But the main issue is those who dont want to powerlevel to paragon 10,000... Yesterday I got 2 people into a lobby that both used a rank 2 billion gem of ease.. making 2 people share trillions of exp after just a few kills. That is the issue imo. Other gems are fine, its just the EXP sharing that makes gem of ease dangerous imo.

I also think people can report if they get a modder with gem of ease on em, and take them from paragon 1,000 to 10,000 in seconds. Even though blizzard dont care if people mod items on PS4, thats because it has offline function. But if people get it when they dont want it, one can probably get banned or whatnot. Not to mention they can even report player to Sony through the ps4 system saying person uses cheats/hacks and or disruptive gameplay. So I would just be careful using gems and stuff that benefits both you ANd your allies when in public lobbies :P
Editor
Sep 5, 2015 at 4:32 AM
Edited Sep 5, 2015 at 4:37 AM
No need for me to be careful, it is not my first rodeo. The people who are levelling others are folks who obtained a modded sword from someone else and do not know what it does. Those folks are not modders. They simply enjoy our gear. I would guess 99% of the time peopple accidentally get levels it is from someone who does not know they are doing it. There is no malicious intent. It is simply a necessary evil of modded gear existing in the game.

No one will ever be banned for this because it has gone on forever. If people are trying to report others for it, they need to stop. In fact, when the gem of ease came out it was initially nerfed to a max of 2 million xp for a foursome. That is why you see 500K gems/swords out there and many just less than 2 million. When the gem emerged, any more than that 2 mil in one game did nothing. The previous patch removed the nerf and it was then the insane numbers and instant levelling came into play. So, in reality, it seems blizzard could care less about people levelling instantaneously. Otherwise the xp gem would not have been uncapped.

No one will ever be banned for modded gear. It just won't happen. There are too many people playing modded gear. If blizzard shuts that down, i bet they lose more than half their audience (audience should be read as "money"). Further, why did the latest patch add higher difficulty? Legit players could not finish T6 100, but now we have T10? Even with the nerf of aps to 5 modders still roll the higher levels. Side note, I think that will change to a higher number, but i like the effort.

Bottom line, this is a video game and people need to chill if they get levelled by someone who has no idea what they are doing with a modded weapon. Learn a lesson and start a new character because you did not know what you were doing anyway. Itis easy to check another player's gear before you jump into an xp situation with them. So a guy who gets levelled accidentally after failing to check others' gear before he plays is equaly at fault as the guy who has the xp gem and does not know what he is doing.

Enjoy the game ... It is, in fact, a game.
Sep 5, 2015 at 8:08 AM
Edited Sep 5, 2015 at 8:12 AM
"Itis easy to check another player's gear before you jump into an xp situation with them. So a guy who gets levelled accidentally after failing to check others' gear before he plays is equaly at fault as the guy who has the xp gem and does not know what he is doing. "

That didn't make sense. If the "legit" player is in a battle already at some area, in a public lobby, someone joins through quick search, instantly teleports to the other player and starts instant killing all the mobs around him. Not so easy to check his gear then since you must be within range :p
But nonetheless, the people who DON'T want to get super leveled etc will not be so easy about the whole "make a new char and learn from your mistakes" action.
I don't mind what people bring into the lobbies. I do just try to see the people who wants to play legit enough without getting boosted by modded gear on other players. The majority probably don't mind, but I feel sorry for the select few who then gets overwhelmed. It's not fair if they have to camp in starting zone until lobby is full of non modded gear. I tend to add people i enjoy playing with to my friendlist and play with them in private rooms. Just more fun when you know the person and know what to expect aswell :D

Blizzard might not care too much and tell people to suck it up. But Sony isn't as nice or overlooking when it comes to these types of things, and enough people go against it. I know its not CFW or so, but even editing savegames are against the SEN's ToS :o
My replies was never intended as "do this not that". It's more try and be a bit more cautious if going freely around randoms that appear to enjoy themselves in other ways :o
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM
I am going to chime in here and say

and then say just keep it clean there will be no pissing contests here everyone benefits from a good debate..

and IMHO the damage is done because the modders gave non modders the stuff its not exactly the modders you have to ask to keep the game clean but the people who have received items from modders pointed out by Mairhouse and Cissamannen both.. I don't know if either of you have noticed but you are both saying the same thing? I'm not saying I'm just saying..
Editor
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM
All in the fun of a good debate, and nothing more gentlemen. Good points by all.

Anyone want a modded sword?
Developer
Sep 5, 2015 at 9:04 PM
I just got back into the ps4 its crazy all stuff that's out there at least people aren't charging people 100 bucks for some gear but as far as blizzard patching mods I think all they will do is cap it like they capped the stat modding on the ps3
Developer
Sep 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM
Edited Sep 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM
they probably cap them off at level 50 or 100
Sep 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Edited Sep 11, 2015 at 10:37 AM
acutally

Sir_Pillows: My question is about the game in general part.
Are there any future plans to clean up console? I love the couch co-op feel of it and playing with my buddies that don't have a PC is great. Unfortunately, online public games are plagued with cheaters and hacks that just defeat the purpose of the game. While I can just play solo or with my friends to avoid these exploits, I would like to see Seasons and other competitive aspects of Diablo brought to console. Either way, I'd appreciate a response. Thanks for your time!

Matthew Berger: I'm glad you love couch co-op - it's something we're really proud of.
Because of how the game is architectured on console there is unfortunately a limit to what we can do to affect people who hack the game. This was one of the tradeoffs of allowing Diablo 3 to work offline on console.
That being said, we are always looking at improving the situation, and we recently made a change to how Legendary Gems work on console to address some of the cheating surrounding them.

taken from: http: // us.battle.net /d3/en/blog/19889980/patch-230-developer-qa-transcript-9-8-2015#other