This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Fast Weapons

Topics: General
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM
So there seems to be a plague of Fast Weapons in the game both on xbox 360 and ps3.

lets take a look at why. When using a Fast Weapon the sheep DPS jumps to billions of damage, this is most appealing for some..

Lets look at what really happens and forgive me if the stats aren't what is in the current patch I have to rely on what blizzard has for skill stats..

Lets start with Barbadian:

Hammer of the Ancients
Secondary
Cost: 20 Fury
Call forth a massive hammer to smash enemies directly in front of you for 535% weapon damage. Hammer of the Ancients has a 1% increased Critical Hit Chance for every 5 Fury that you have.

lets look at the math a little
OK so in this skill we do 535% Weapon Damage

now I'm told that fast weapons are 13-16 attacks per second and I'm also told that they can do from 10,000 to 15,000 damage

Lets look at a 13 attacks with 10,000 damage..

So we have to do some stuff to this weapon before we can calculate the actual damage of it and that is we have to divide the number of attacks by the damage..

10,000/13 = 769

only 769 damage per hit wow..
now we can figure percentage from Hammer of the Ancients

769*535% = 411,415

441,415 getting better..

Now lets look at a legitimate weapon one that can be found anywhere

Griswold's Perfection
Legendary Sword
1901.2–2274.3
Damage Per Second
(1149–1367)–(1567–1882) Damage
1.40 Attacks per Second

1 attack per second OK we don't have to divide anything.. straight math now...

1901 to 2274
1901 + 2274 /2 = 1936 * 535% =1,035,760

1 million from 1 hit with a legitimate weapon oh and that don't have any damage modifiers on it..

The game runs stable and wont roll host every 5 min of game play..

This can be applied to every skill..

What about the DSP that I mentioned at the beginning that has nothing to do with how much damage you deal.. its not actually calculated in the hit damage...
Developer
Sep 29, 2015 at 12:59 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with your stance against fast weapons but your math is a little off.
I have a perfectly rolled 180% attack speed weapon that does 12740dmg with 14 attacks per second.
When divided out that's 12740/14 which = 910 dmg per attack.
Using your formula for hammer of the ancients that equates to 910x535% for a total of 4868.5 dmg per hit
Whereas your legit Griswolds would equate to 1936x535%=10357.6 dmg per hit.

I have found through personal experience that damage per HIT not damage per second is far more beneficial.
The damage per hit numbers are found in white at the bottom of the page just above the attacks per second on the weapon description.

I'm currently rocking a 1.09 attacks per second modded Azurewrath that does 22854-27260 per hit and utilizing the previous equation that equals
22854+27260/2=25228 so hammer of the ancients would be 25228x535% which is 134969.8 per hit. And that is without figuring in strength, crit hit, crit dam, or any skill damage bonuses.
Editor
Sep 29, 2015 at 2:36 PM
The numbers do not lie! Good post.

In other news, CKY will be happy to hear that the latest patch capped APS at 5. So the crazy lagging is mostly gone. The only time I have encountered it since the patch is when a low level player uses a modded XP gem to gain paragon. The levels accumulate so fast the game lags.
Oct 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM
Speaking of fast weapons... I sometimes wonder how people can manage to make these glorious superstats on certain weapons? Well maybe its the russian dev weapons, but I see some people have like 20.5 attacks per second on their weapon. I mean, is it just visual numbers or is it actually that kind of speed on their attacks?
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2015 at 4:22 PM
It's that speed on there attacks and with a 60 frame per second display they wonder why the the game says no and who ever is hosting crashes..

I get asked all the time by both modders and non-modders alike to remove it from the game.. I'm not blizzard....
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2015 at 4:30 PM
Cissamannen wrote:
Speaking of fast weapons... I sometimes wonder how people can manage to make these glorious superstats on certain weapons?
What makes it glorious?? If you look at the math that is in my post and grouchy's post you will see that you have to take the number and divide it by 20.5.

I would need to know what the number is to tell you but looking at at a weapon that could have 20.5 that would either be diablo 3 or RoS patch 2.x and the main damage number is only going to be between 60,000 and 90,000 if you take 60 and divide it by 20 its 3,000 damage you would be better off picking up a weapon from the ground..
Editor
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM
Cissamannen wrote:
Speaking of fast weapons... I sometimes wonder how people can manage to make these glorious superstats on certain weapons? Well maybe its the russian dev weapons, but I see some people have like 20.5 attacks per second on their weapon.
It is likely possible to make it a higher aps than 20.5. In this instance, we are dealing with attacks per second, but you can choose any one stat in the game and through the editor, sockets and gems stack the chosen stat many times.

For example, if you take the attacks per second affix:

--> Use the affix 6 times in making the fast russian sword (which starts around 5APS anyway);
--> Make an APS gem and socket two of those into the weapon; and
--> Make an legendary gem that will have an additional 7 affixes that you can spend on APS.

In that example you have used the APS affix 15 times on a weapon that starts out with higher than normal APS as a base.

Another place you see this trend is in amulets and rings. There are items that do more than 100 mana/spirt/etc per second because the legendary gems are loaded up.
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:36 AM
The highest dmg i've seen so far was 60(something)k - 78k, but it also had 5 aps. Are you saying it's possible to make it higher without raising aps?

i've been using the professional fast sword as tier quality, should i be using the two handed mace for harder hitting weapons?

I'm the same way, i hate lagging out the game and ruining the game for everyone :/

Thanks!
Feb 4, 2016 at 4:13 PM
I must say as well, I always use PRFS as the tier quality on my weapons, if the character can support infinite/nearly infinite resources. Maybe I'll try taking a slower approach and see if the damage per hit is that much higher.

I personally don't add attack speed though, I roll with 5 aps and just stack damage from there on out. But you're right, I've lagged the hell out of games even with just 5 aps using my multishot DH, which is why I don't use it anymore.
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:36 AM
APS beyond 5 is dumb. There's no point in going passed that, but since not many people mod and the ones that do don't just hand out stuff like Santa, you're going to see a lot of people with really fast weapons.

Before 5 aps was the cap the aps you did have factored into your damage rating on your character screen and what happened when you hit stuff was that it would merge the attacks that was not animated together. So the damage numbers were horrendous. At least this is what I was told a really long time ago, cant remember who said it. Either way it makes no difference now because if you hit faster than 5 than you are wasting slots.

The only thing adding speed does it to impress people that don't know any better. If you see someone with a weapon at around 400k it's only because of their speed. You can't get that high with straight damage and % plus the 5 base aps.
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:49 AM
Something else I forgot to mention. 769x535% does not equal 411k. That would actually be 769 x 5.35 which is actually 41k.

Also your math is incorrect regarding the hammer of the ancients. Basing it on your numbers you can set it up like this: 22,654+(277260/2)=36484. Then that times 535% (or 5.35) comes out to 195,189. Not too shabby if you ask me.

The fast weapons only calculate for dps, but to see how hard something actually hits you need to see the actual damage value at the bottom of the weapon description. So let's say for example the weapon has a damage range of 2,355-2,555. We can take the average of the two to come up with 2,455. Then with that number you can multiply by 5.35 (in reference to hammer of the ancients) to come up with 13,134.25. That is how hard that skill should be hitting with that damage value. Attacks per second does not factor in to damage done at a single point in time but damage done after a period of time. So, if your weapon does 1.09 aps you could take the number we just made and multiply that by 100 (to get rid of the decimal) and then multiply that by the 13k we figured earlier to see how much damage your hammer of the ancients does if you were to spam it non stop over a period of 100 seconds. You can also just multiply the 13k by 1.09 to get a rough estimate of the dps of that ability with that weapon.

So for anyone that is curious about aps I hope that helps and I look forward to more of the great things CKY and the team puts out.
Developer
Feb 11, 2016 at 10:47 PM
I appreciate your interest in the mechanics of the game but my numbers are in fact correct. Although my semantics may have been out of place the end result is what it should be. It should have read (22,654+277260)/2=25228. Therefore 25228(median average damage)x535%=134969.8 per hit. The reason for this is the damage on the weapon must be averaged to compute its output. I apologize if I confused anyone by leaving out those pesky parentheses since the equation fails without them. But que sera sera. Although 195k would be nice, its only 135k.