This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Ramblings of on old man

Topics: General
Developer
Feb 9, 2016 at 12:46 AM
I find it very disheartening that after dedicating hundreds of hours to assisting this project (which is probably only 2% of the time put in by CKY and others). It all comes down to people wanting to look "cool". 3 sources, pink boots, blacked out gear, swords coming out of their shoulders, flags and animals that do nothing.
Meh, whatever.
I went to 4 public games today and in all 4, at least 2 people were wearing 516 test rings(cant die) and at least 1 had the 1 bil % physical damage ring. (kill gr150 with a legit weapon). Where's the challenge? Do people even try anymore? At this time I think I will stick to closed games with friends only. I enjoy the challenge of the game and actually appreciated the nerfing of the legendary gems to make the game more difficult. I have a goal of running a 150 again someday, but albeit on gear and gear only. Without either of the aforementioned rings.
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:09 AM
150 legit? Good luck man

I have a modded stats character, with modded gear and can do 150 easy. Then i have a modded gear character without modded stats, and can only get to 125. Though i have my own little challenge of making gear to do 150 without modded stats. That is where i find the challenge and all the fun!
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:52 AM
i hear u grouchy one guy had tables on his head ppl like that i think are dumb becz its lags out the game and make the host freeze with shadow gear that aint make right.... thats why im bk on the ps3 playing skyrim.... and btw so i can do a 130 just armor modded so far getting closer to finding the right mixer for the 150 rifts and btw i got a legit guy i run from time to time yes its a barb
Feb 9, 2016 at 3:42 AM
even when my character was legit and had modded gear, i hated people for wearing 516, i can't black out my gear cuz it just shows how stupid people are.
I have both my modded account and my legit account i play on, but i hat people the most on HC for playing with 516 and it wasn't till today i seen this ring with super high phys dmg on it.
Feb 9, 2016 at 4:50 AM
I thought you can only do around 60k on any item?
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2016 at 4:17 PM
Lmao that's right grouch. There's so much more to do there and they don't get it.
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:54 PM
yep i agree with doug and grouchy hell im thinking about making a legit account to run on with out any mods so it will make the game more fun
Developer
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:00 AM
I'm currently rocking a WD with modded gear and can consistently run a GR140.....I've managed a 142 but barely made the time. It seems that the difficulty goes up exponentially which is gonna make a solid 150 build quite a challenge. I merely tickle the monsters at that level. But for me, that is what its all about. So I'm going at it for all I can. I will make it to 150 domination. The only question is how long it will take.

It's good to know that I'm not on an island with this line of thinking. I appreciate the responses. Good luck to all trying to get the 150 on modded gear alone.
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:28 AM
Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xOMDm2-fa0

This is my video and I posted it before 2.4 was in the editor. At the end I show that I am in a 150 and not stat modded. I had to remake that set to consistently finish within time.

I also made a video of my sm monk literally walking through a 150.

just search jmart83 in the youtube search
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:47 AM
i havent really tried the highest grouch becz i just jumped in a 130 rifts just to see and i cleared it with i think 10 mins left maybe 5 not for sure on that one i will have to run it again to see and make sure im right on the time... hum ok im goin to try not to come off like a dick when i say this jmart83000 im guessing u didnt read the part that most of use are running armor modded guys becz it no fun with stat modded guys and i agree with grouchy and doug there alot more to do then just stat mod ur guys that gets boring fast even on the ps4
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:52 AM
The real challenge is figuring out how to kill the meanest enemies with the best gear. Doing it legit is not possible and stat modding is too easy. But there is a way.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2016 at 2:07 AM
Well there's a will there's a way
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Excessive statistic modification does make the game a bore after a while, although it does have its uses in breeze farming - speaking from personal experience.
That being said, I think most of us here share a similar opinion on the issue - some use it, others abuse it.
Personally, I have a God toon for both Standard and Hardcore, but the others use modified gear at most with minimal Paragon point expenditure.

It is a shame to see the system abused is such a way by a minority within a community such as ours, but it is to be expected within such in the long run.
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2016 at 11:44 AM
I quite agree with ya Doug, and Grouchy i haven't really played the PS4 version in forever cause it got boring for me. Plus most of my friends gave up on it so i really didn't have anyone to goof off with, but the other reason is cause of the massive stat modding sure it was fun in the beginning. Then it fail down hill from there unfortunately. So that is why I'm with Doug and Grouchy on this, Also if anyone that uses stat mods, and reads this i advise you to try to think of other ways cause its only gonna hurt the whole d3 modding community later.
Developer
Apr 5, 2016 at 11:34 PM
Stat modding is stat modding no matter the level. And WTH is breeze farming? If you can mod your stats than you can create anything you want within the editor and nullify the need to "farm" anything. Sounds like a bunch of hot air and excuses to justify stat mods. If that's your game then so be it. Everyone should play however makes them happy. I just find that taking the easiest approach may get you to the end faster but robs you of the fun and challenges of getting there. The shame lies in the fact that people spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to learn how to make wings, pets, black gear, and hundreds of (IMHO) stupid ass visual tricks in lieu of making better gear to play the game with. It seems that showing off, crashing peoples games, and/or just being a dick is the new cool thing to do.
Jul 31, 2016 at 12:25 PM
I m not getting the message of this discussion ?
You guys are saying that stat modding screws the game?
yea probably it will ..
Let me tell you guys how I learned about modding.

I was playing D3 vanilla for a couple of weeks and just finished a DH and a wiz on lv60. inferno finished on normal mode.
Then some guy joined my game and drops some crazy ass weapons.
I was like WTH?? These are end-game items? I m weak like trash, so I PMed a ps friend to show my power and find him some cool gear on Master V.
Only the items didnt drop .. they were all legit ofcourse ^^.

After feeling a lil sad about this sudden insight, whats the point of even grinding/farming for gear when random guys have everything I worked for x10.000.
So I started checking other games and found out that there were differences between those "modded items".
I m not the type of guy to ask for gear in order to get my set complete, so after some researching on YouTube I found out about codeplex DIII editor.
Philosophically speaking I still dont have a clue about the true point of modding, yet I find it enjoyable to customize my gear and stats aswell.
I think the challenge is in making the coolest/strongest items possible with the current editor(free in my case).
And yes of course this will get boring in time .. I m not sure what to do when that happens.
I try to mix between custom/legit characters to keep some challenge in farming and leveling etc.
Also I m not modding my level/ paragon level to have enough left to do.
My neighbour and I are quite some IT fanatics( my neighbour is owner of a web-hosting company) and I used to run Private WoW servers.
I guess my interest in modding started here.
Because I helped developing a so called "funserver" up to level 254, every item in-game was custom made and this included balancing.
The balancing aspect is a bit "forgotten" here in D3 modding, but I ll do my best to think of new challenges and new ways to mod my stuff.
My neighbour plays ps4 so I can make him some cool stuff aswell and enjoy the ps4 aspect aswell. For myself I ll stick to ps3 for a while.