How to make cool characters with visual/raw tab!

Topics: General, Sticky Posts Read this First (Do not select this when creating new topics)
Jun 13, 2016 at 7:55 AM
Edited Jul 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM
In this thread I will be talking about what I've learnt through using the visual tab over the past year or so. Also, please make sure to always backup your save when messing with the raw tab, and never be afraid to change values in the raw tab even if your 99% sure your game will corrupt.

Metallic/Chrome armour look

This one is pretty straight forward. First of all, as far as i know, you can only transmog the witch doctor's actual gear to be chrome, I may be wrong about this, so tell me. (Use the testing_art_6 stuff for chrome gear for witch doctor)

However, for every character, you can go to visual tab and transmog all their armour to be the marauder's set. This will give that character the "chrome" look. Here is a picture of the visual tab of one of my chrome looking characters.Image

For chrome demon hunter transmog all gear to the Helltooth set (Credits to speeddave for telling me this^^).

NOTE: equipping any armour on will make the chrome look disappear.

If you want to dye the chrome look and get some cool colours as well, go to raw tab for character, underneath digest go to visual_equipment, as shown in the image below.

Now, the dyes will not effect the chrome look the way you would normally want it too.
Here are some dyes i normally use and what the resulting colour looks like:

14 - White'ish blue.
7 - Gold
5 - Pink
In order to change the dye of an item in the visual_item tab, simply change the number in the "dye_type" box.

For example, the dye of my monk's pants in this image is 14, so therfore it will appear as a white'ish blue color when i load into the game.

Want to know how to mod your stats?
look in the source code for attributes.cs for the ID's.
http://diiiedit.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#DIIIRoSSaveEdit/D3.Ui/saved_attribute.cs
Effects

Now we get to the really fun part!

Here are 2 of my character's to give you an idea of what kind of cool variations you could make with the editor.
My barbarian:
My crusader:
Ok, so you want to add a lightning effect to the helmet of your character?

1.make sure in the visual tab you have a helmet equipped, otherwise the effect won't show.
2.go the raw tab of the character and under digest, go to visual_equipment.
3.the helmet of the character is the first one, as shown in the image below.

in the image shown above, on my helmet, I have a lightning effect set on it. Make sure that effect_level is set to 5.

here is a list i made of the effect ID's: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mycRikMEcW7Sp8qAmhGQMP2Govrd3wd4XM5l9QcAoGU/edit?usp=sharing

You can only add effects to your character's helmet, shoulders, weapon, offhand.

If I made any mistakes, then please tell me, if you have any ideas or questions you can post them here or you can message them to me, my psn is MonksAreTheBest.

Hope some of you guys learned something new today :)
Jun 13, 2016 at 2:13 PM
Just wanted to say, thank you. And i really appreciate what you have put together here. I had no idea about how to get the lightning affect let alone the others you have shown. Great work and thanks for sharing :)
Jun 13, 2016 at 3:54 PM
Thank you for the kind feedback!
I believe more people need to know about this, so we can start seeing lots more awesome looking variations of effects people have made.
Jun 13, 2016 at 5:35 PM
MonksAreTheBest,

Thank you for taking the time to generously share your time and experience with the Editor. Yesterday, I was lobby hopping to ask some folks about their transmogs, and all but one of them were unresponsive. When the one did respond, they informed me that it was a 'Custom' transmog, and I was told by other folks that some people have transmogs from other games. Needless to say, this was very discouraging. My previous experience with 'modding' in any sort of fashion has been Game Genie! Unfortunately, I have no coding background but still wanted to participate in the fun and satisfaction that comes along with creation. I was about ready to give up on continuing to go down the long road of guess-and-check, but it is kind of funny: after I read your post this morning, I feel much more encouraged to keep experimenting.

After all, I have been very fearful of the 'Raw' tab (and probably still should be). Sounds like this is where you can really get down into the nitty-gritty.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.

volta
Jun 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM
Hey MonksAreTheBest,

Hopefully you may have some time to answer two questions.

Above you mention to go into your character and change primary attribute to something recognizable, and then edit in the Raw tab. Are you referring to performing this in game? I do not see the option to do that in the Editor, and I also tried cross-referencing your attribute Keys to see if it was listed. No luck :(

Also, have you had any luck using the Hero.IDX tab under Settings for your visuals? I ask because I tried suiting up my Barb with the Maurader's Set and effect_level=10 with a result of flat black. Not sure if item_effect_type is binary (0 for off, 1 for on).

Let me know if you have a few minutes. Thanks!

volta

PS - all good so far: 0 game corruptions :)
Jun 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM
Glad i could help Volta, hopefully I inspired you somewhat.
Now for the questions,

1.I mentioned making it look like all of your stats were modded, as opposed to how normally you would only have the options to mod only two of your character's primary attributes. The stat modding section is exclusive to the paid-version now, that might be the issue. If not, get back to me.

2.I remember trying the visual_equipment in the hero tab, but I don't recall it ever working, or applying any of the effects I had entered. Item_effect_type is not binary, here is a list of the effect type ID's that I made https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mycRikMEcW7Sp8qAmhGQMP2Govrd3wd4XM5l9QcAoGU/edit?usp=sharing

By the way, don't put the item_effect_type to be above 14 or the game will corrupt.

Why set the effect_level to 10? I think you meant effect_type, if so, I just tested it, the hero settings tab isn't applying any of the effects I have entered either.

No game corruptions so far? Lucky, every third game i load in corrupts, i'm always changing numbers I don't know anything about.^^
Jun 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM
Haha, you are much braver than me!

Yes, I did pay for a subscription to the Editor. I do not see the 'Stats' section to mod tho unless it is nested in the raw tab or other tab, but I dug around without finding it.

It sounds like I have confused effect_level and effect_type. Derp!

Did my Monk first with success, but apparently I was not paying attention when I did my Barb!

BTW - do you have items equipped prior to modding Visual Equipment, or will that mess it up? I imagine that you cannot unequip/reequip items in game without messing it up, but figured if you already had equipment on that the Visual Equipment would override it and still show the effects.

Thanks,

volta
Jun 13, 2016 at 7:46 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2016 at 7:49 PM
So i usually only run belt, bracers, rings and amulet and shoulders with my chrome characters to avoid making any of the chrome armour disappear (you can also use a helmet as well). I have everything unequipped prior to modding, just makes it easier for me manage. The stats are in a drop-down menu on the general tab for each of your characters.
Any equipment you have equipped will override the visual tab.

Glad to hear its fixed^^
Jun 13, 2016 at 8:04 PM
Hmmm... that tab seems to vary between characters I have. All but two of them have areas in the dropdown, and one of the two only has Movement. Do not see any primary attributes, though. Sounds like I need to ask CKY, unless I am supposed to create this in the Raw tab for it to appear.. but I have not created any thus far..

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:38 PM
Try reinstalling the latest version of the editor? if that doesn't work i would suggest asking CKY or making posting an issue thread about it.
Jun 13, 2016 at 8:43 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2016 at 8:47 PM
Am running 1.3.18.150. Found issue in Issues I think: need paragon points assigned..
Jun 13, 2016 at 8:49 PM
That makes sense, since by modding the stats, you're actually modding the amount of paragon points spent.
Jun 13, 2016 at 8:50 PM
But then all of your characters would have it? idk.
Developer
Jun 14, 2016 at 12:00 AM
You have to have applied at least 1 paragon point in-game for the attributes to change from numbers to words and therefore work.
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2016 at 3:09 AM
Have to have the paid version and one paragon
Jun 14, 2016 at 3:18 AM
10-4. Found it in a discussion under 'Issues' earlier per my post. Thank you for following up. Thought me and Monks were the only folks in this discussion ;)

Shame on me for missing out on a paid benefit..
Jun 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM
On another note, looks like you can find everything in the raw tab: items/items/collection/0d3.items.saveditems, but there is no effect_level or item_effect_type. Shame.. I thought you might be able to circumvent the need for the Visual Equipment tab, though I found it is fed from the Raw Tab.

Wonder if the enchanted_seed can just be duplicated instead of having to mass dupe items in the inventory. Tried making a set of 9 legendary gems the other day (rings and necklace) that all had the same affixes, but the duplicated different gems did not load - only the originals.

Anyone have any experience with that?

thanks,

volta
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:03 PM
The enchanted_seed is just what it says.
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Hey doug, I have a question,

I remember being able to make gear with no armour on it, I did this by simply setting the tier quality to an amulet, and I can load in with the gear perfectly fine, but the gear just resets to having armour again and seems to re-roll the affixes I had set on them, this happens when I leave the game I was in and start a new game. Any suggestions?
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM
If you don't want an armor listed, set the tier as a legendary item. Try that. If it's changing because your changing anything in the program then returning to the game, that would be why. Any changes will make it re-roll the items.
Coordinator
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:32 PM
Great tutorial MonksAreTheBest, this is the kind of thing that we as modders thrive on!
Jun 14, 2016 at 5:25 PM
Ok I'll try and do that, hopefully it works, thanks for the advice :)
Jun 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM
I don't see many tutorials or guides about the raw tab, so I thought I would share what I've learnt and encourage more people to mess with it. Thanks for the comment^^
Jun 15, 2016 at 2:01 AM
Transmoging as a legendary item worked! thank you! :D
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2016 at 3:46 AM
Most welcome
Jun 15, 2016 at 3:40 PM
Seems like armor would be considered an affix by the game. Too bad there isn't a way to turn this into an 8th ;)
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Armor isn't an afix. It's a waste if your using an afix for it.
Jun 15, 2016 at 10:22 PM
I meant that the game would treat it as one. If I understand it correctly, it seems like the game would have to roll armor to each item. If it is rolling for armor, than maybe it could be rolling for something else. Just a thought.. maybe I do not understand armor that well.
Coordinator
Jun 15, 2016 at 11:36 PM
If your making a new item for each part of your gear, them yes it rolls it differently. No it can't be substituted for something else. Think of it like weapon % damage that's listed on certain weapons. Each time you roll it the weapon % changes along with the damage.
Jun 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM
Is 2147483647 the maximum value for all attributes? Didn't know if thngs reset if you pump them up too high.
Jun 17, 2016 at 10:07 PM
I have never put my attributes over 2147483647, I just assumed it would roll into negative territory. Test it out.
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Do not add max value to: attack speed gold find.
Jun 18, 2016 at 12:12 PM
I have max value on all attributes except cooldown, works perfectly.
Jun 18, 2016 at 3:11 PM
Copy that, Doug. Found that out the slow way, LOL.

I applied it to all except Cooldown, Attack speed, movement speed and gold find. Working good.
Jun 30, 2016 at 7:21 PM
Edited Jun 30, 2016 at 7:23 PM
Transmog is illusory boots for invisible monk, haven't found out invisible feet yet tho.

Try and make the same armor they had, rarity, tier quality etc...
Jun 30, 2016 at 7:58 PM
My experience with Illusory Boots (Gloves of Worship, Boots of Disregard, etc.) is that it makes the character black.

When I mean invisible, I mean INVISIBLE. You see right through the character.. have only seen it on legs, chest and head so far.. no luck with Glass Star :/

Do you know what Dye number vanishing dye is?
Jul 1, 2016 at 12:42 AM
The monk is the only character that can go invisible, illusiary boots is the only way to do it. Has nothing to do with the dye.
Jul 1, 2016 at 12:50 AM
Thanks Wooderson. I assume you mean to go into the raw tab for visual equipment and make the adjustment.
Jul 1, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Not everything has to do with the raw tab or visual equipment when you're looking for different looks.
Jul 2, 2016 at 12:24 AM
I find for demon-hunter Metallic/Chrome armour look is HELLTOOTH TUNIC
Jul 2, 2016 at 7:35 AM
Haven't tested that yet, but if that is the case then I'll be sure to update the thread, thankyou for sharing the informstion , I appreciate it.
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:20 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2016 at 2:23 PM
Names are fine, but please remove the gbid information from your spreadsheet if you'd like to keep it posted. That information is for subscribers only and should be treated as such.
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM
Can't seem to see the list? Idk, peeps here are pretty strict about them gbid's. I appreciate you sharing all of this information anyway.
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:55 PM
i removed the gbid information :)
Jul 2, 2016 at 3:14 PM
Thanks Dave. There are reasons that ck and the rest of the developers are so strict when it comes to things.
Jul 2, 2016 at 3:33 PM
I understand I had not thought of before publishing :)
Coordinator
Jul 2, 2016 at 4:25 PM
Thank you for sharing what you have found, but there are reasons that the gbid list is NOT to be posted. Your welcome to share what and how things work just not the list. Thank you.
Dec 31, 2016 at 2:29 PM
does this still work?
Coordinator
Dec 31, 2016 at 6:16 PM
Yes
Marked as answer by doug1030 on 12/31/2016 at 7:49 PM
Jan 29 at 7:17 PM
Hey. I bought the licence a Week ago.

My questions are: i dont know how to open this visualitem collection Editor, am i blind or is this a other Programm to Download?

I created a fast sword and a shard of hade. And my dps is Not going higher as 138.570,80. What am i doing wrong?

Weapons about 300 - 400k would be great.

Im persistent, i created a Lot of things, but this i Cant. If There is somebody here to help me, or can add me on PSN: CjFauli95 . So i can talk to him.

(licence to 25th Feb.)
Jan 30 at 2:06 PM
the first question, how to open it is future (those 3 points on the right side)

greetz
Coordinator
Jan 30 at 3:36 PM
Glad you found your answer. As for the weapon, there is many topics here about how to make one. Weapon: 3 lines of damage, 3 lines damage%. Gem of ease: 3 lines damage%, 4 lines of damage.
Jan 30 at 6:44 PM
Doug do you Play on playstation?
Yeah nur There is this caldesanns lvl 150. I got a ancient shard of hade. Gem of ease lvl 150 and Rubin. I Cant Level this ingame. IT fails always. Or this Not so important?

And i got another question. Is there a Chance to get a good savedata ? Just to Look how it Function and to Copy some things? Would Also pay for it.
Coordinator
Jan 31 at 1:00 AM
Yes I'm on PS. If your having trouble with your save data I can help you with that. If the gem is already at 150 it won't go any higher, now there is a gem that only goes to 75, if I remember correctly. Not sure of its name though.
Jan 31 at 8:48 PM
Would you add me? I Have to ask you something. Psn: CjFauli95
Coordinator
Jan 31 at 10:00 PM
Sure send me a friend request, I'm out of the house at the moment, bit I'll be on in a while. PSN same as here.
Jan 31 at 10:43 PM
got you :)